Effective Business CommunicationVersion 3.0
By Scott McLean
This book is available with FlatWorld's Homework System at no additional cost to your students. Learn more
- Provides relevant background for content presented and highlights key theories.
- Examines communication, culture, and their interaction in practical, real-world contexts.
- Each chapter is self-contained, allowing for mix-and-match flexibility and custom or course-specific design. They are also structured around several supportive learning components:
- “Introductory Exercises” set the stage for topics to be presented in the coming chapter.
- “Learning Objectives” at the beginning of each main section help guide and focus students’ learning.
- The “Key Term Preview” feature familiarizes students with key concepts and terminology before reading the chapter so they better understand and retain information.
- Key terms highlight important concepts and terminology throughout the text.
- “Key Takeaways” at the end of every main section echo and reinforce the section’s “Learning Objectives.”
- “Exercises” at the end of each main section promote deeper learning and retention of new concepts by stimulating critical analysis.
- Videos embedded throughout the text provide useful context and interest.
Effective Business Communication is suitable for courses such as Business Communication, Professional Communication, Communicating at Work or similar course titles taught in business or communication departments at the undergraduate and graduate levels at both two- and four-year institutions.
Effective Business Communication provides a comprehensive, integrated approach to the study and application of written and oral business communication. The book starts with an emphasis on business communication soft skills—increasingly in demand by employers, featured in job descriptions, and clearly related to professional success. Links to self-assessments highlight strengths as well as opportunities for improvement. The book’s second section transitions to a focus on business writing, followed by a third section that features business presentations, dealing with conflict in business, crisis communication, and intercultural contexts. Each section is supported and enriched by relevant, real world, and current examples.
New in This Version
- Streamlined and condensed to now encompass fourteen chapters, a decrease of five chapters compared to the previous version.
- Refreshed exercises, images, and videos throughout the text reinforce learning.
- New or revised sections on
- Emotional intelligence and adaptability (Section 1.8)
- Leadership (Section 1.9)
- Conflict management (Section 1.10)
- Impacts of artificial intelligence on the workplace (Section 1.11)
- Mobile communication messages (Section 5.8)
- Myths of public speaking, speech anxiety and stage fright (Section 6.4)
- Effective visual aids (Section 7.5)
- Strategies for presentation success (Section 8.2)
- Effective motivational strategies to gain audience attention (Section 9.4)
- Effective strategies for the presentation to persuade (Section 10.4)
- Sound Bites, Message Maps, Quotes, and Earworms (Section 11.2)
- Viral messages (Section 11.11)
- Conflict strategies and BATNA (Section 12.5)
- Cause marketing and social change (Section 13.6)
- International communication and the global marketplace (Section 14.2)
- International business and law enforcement (Section 14.3)
- International job assignment (Section 14.4)
- Family business challenges (Section 14.7)
- Deep Web, Darknets, Blogs, and Microblogs (Section 14.8)
- Popular culture and business communication across cultures (Section 14.9)
FlatWorld Homework includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system.
Request a demo
The Instructor’s Manual guides you through the main concepts of each chapter and important elements such as learning objectives, key terms, and key takeaways. Can include answers to chapter exercises, group activity suggestions, and discussion questions.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
Test Generator - powered by Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Bank Files for Import to Learning Management Systems
For your convenience, we've packaged our test items for easy import into Learning Management Systems like Blackboard, Brightspace/D2L, Canvas, Moodle, or Respondus.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.
Sample syllabi provide useful templates to help new faculty adopters revise their teaching plans to match their assigned FlatWorld textbook or lend insights to existing adopters on how to organize their classes.Download
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here