Business Law and the Legal EnvironmentVersion 3.0
By Don Mayer, Daniel Warner, George Siedel, and Jethro K. Lieberman
- Simply presents information without being structured around a specific viewpoint or philosophy
- Comprehensive coverage of legal and regulatory topics
- Includes edited and condensed cases in the court’s original language that are easy for students to read and understand
- Additional case summaries are included in the instructor’s manual
- Cases are used to illustrate points made in the chapter and are not the sole method of teaching the material
- Over 100 new embedded video links show learners how legal concepts apply in the real world of business
- Supportive learning features in each chapter:
- “Learning Objectives” preview each main head section and help focus the reader’s attention
- “Exercises” at the end of every main head section prompt critical analysis and invite students to test their own comprehension. Answers to all Exercises are included in the instructor’s manual
- “Key Takeaways” at the end of every main head section summarize new information while it is fresh to encourage retention
- Embedded flashcards help students master key terminology and autograded online quizzes help them test their knowledge as they learn
- “Summary” at the end of every chapter reviews key concepts to help students construct a big picture understanding of the preceding chapter
- “Exercises” and “Self-Tests Questions” at the end of every chapter reinforce student learning and encourage retention. Answers to all Exercises are included in the instructor’s manual and answers to Self-Test Questions are at the end of the chapter
- All supplements are written by the text’s authors
Business Law and the Legal Environment is suitable for courses called Business Law, Business Law and the Legal Environment, The Legal Environment, Advanced Business Law or similar titles taught at the undergraduate or master’s level in business departments at two- and four-year colleges and universities. This book is appropriate for courses that are one- or several terms in length and can be easily customized to match any syllabus.
Business Law and the Legal Environment covers the entire range of legal and regulatory issues faced by businesses. The book includes illustrative cases in the court’s language for each topic area and case summaries in the Instructor’s Manual. Along with extensive coverage of traditional business law topics such as torts, contracts, bailments, commercial sales, secured transactions, agency, property, partnership, corporate law, wills, estates, and bankruptcy, the book also covers federal regulatory law (employment, antitrust, securities, and environmental law) and international law. Business Law and the Legal Environment provides students with the vocabulary and legal acumen required to communicate in an informed way with colleagues, customers, suppliers and government officials on legal matters relating to business.
New in This Version
- Thoroughly edited to break up longer sections into more manageable sections (e.g., Chapter 3 “The Courts and the Legal Processes”)
- Recent changes in both statutory and common law, including landmark cases such as the reversal of Roe v. Wade, impacts of new technologies on existing laws, LGBTQ+ employment discrimination, and the Black Lives Matter movement
- Updated with 22 new cases decided since 2016
- Cases have been moved to the end of each section in the relevant chapter
- Cases are fully indexed for the first time
- The single chapter on real property law is now divided into two chapters: Chapter 33 “Regulation of Real Estate” and Chapter 34 “Environmental Law”
- Extensive number of embedded video links for the first time (over 100)
- Updated or new graphs on topics such as the number of different types of business organizations (Section 41.1 and Section 43.4), the decline in union membership (Section 51.2), or the number of bankruptcy filings (Chapter 30)
- Dollar amounts stated in original cases are translated into today’s dollars to reflect their much more compelling current values
FlatWorld Homework includes multi-format questions written specifically for your FlatWorld book, which you can access through our stand-alone interface or integrate with your learning management system.
Request a demo
The Instructor’s Manual guides you through the main concepts of each chapter and important elements such as learning objectives, key terms, and key takeaways. Can include answers to chapter exercises, group activity suggestions, and discussion questions.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here