Our Communication, Our World: An Introduction to Communication StudiesVersion 1.0 By: Richard G. Jones Jr.
- Emphasizes practicality and competence. The book’s “real world” focus integrates content about communicating in professional contexts throughout. Relevant and concrete examples ensure students immediately see the applicability of what they learn.
- Utilizes a tone that is conversational and stimulates the reader to engage in inner dialogue.
- Emphasizes critical thinking and encourages linking theory to practice.
- Each chapter is structured around supportive learning components.
- “Learning Objectives” organized by main section.
- Key terms highlight important concepts and terminology.
- Four boxed features appear throughout.
- "Getting Real” explains how fundamental concepts have been explored or applied in recent research.
- “Getting Competent” presents information to help learners develop skills as scholars and practitioners.
- “Getting Digital” highlights the intersection of communication and technology, including the internet, smartphones, and social media.
- “Getting Critical” enhances analytical thinking and invites reflection by drawing on examples from current events, politics, and popular culture—often within the context of ethical considerations.
- Diversity coverage is woven into each chapter, rather than relegated to boxes or sidebars.
- Includes current topics not consistently covered in other titles, such as communication research methods (Chapter 1), health communication (Chapter 12), and critical approaches in communication (integrated throughout).
Our Communication, Our World: An Introduction to Communication Studies is suitable for introduction to human communication courses, usually called introduction to communication studies, speech communication, or human communication. The course is geared to communication majors but often enrolls non-majors. Our Communication, Our World: An Introduction to Communication Studies surveys the entire field of human communication (history/research, interpersonal, small group, and limited coverage of public speaking).
Our Communication, Our World: An Introduction to Communication Studies conveys the time-tested conceptual foundations of human communication. It incorporates the newest, pertinent research and cutting-edge applications of basic communication concepts. Special attention is paid to the connection between theory and practice to highlight practicality and connect with students’ real-world experiences. Faculty and students will value this book’s down-to-earth approach; integrative, learning-driven features; concrete and relevant examples; and well-researched but conversational tone.
At FlatWorld, we take pride in providing a range of high-quality supplements alongside our titles, to help instructors teach effectively. Supplements are available for instructors who have registered their adoption with us. If you need to review or preview something specific, please contact us.
Already registered? Sign in here
The Instructor Manual guides you through the main concepts of each chapter and important elements such as learning objectives, key terms, and key takeaways. Can include answers to chapter exercises, group activity suggestions, and discussion questions.
PowerPoint Lecture Notes
A PowerPoint presentation highlighting key learning objectives and the main concepts for each chapter are available for you to use in your classroom. You can either cut and paste sections or use the presentation as a whole.
Test Generator - powered by Cognero
FlatWorld has partnered with Cognero, a leading online assessment system, that allows you to create printable tests from FlatWorld provided content.
Test Bank Files for Import to Learning Management Systems
For your convenience, we've packaged our test items for easy import into Learning Management Systems like Blackboard, Brightspace/D2L, Canvas, Moodle, or Respondus.
Test Item File
Need assistance in supplementing your quizzes and tests? Our test-item files (in Word format) contain many multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, and short-answer questions.