Higher Education Publishing Sales Representative
North Carolina and Houston, TX
We are FlatWorld and we are disrupting the college textbook industry.
About the company
Our mission is to bring textbook prices back down to earth. College professors are our customers. We make their lives easier by ensuring that their students have access to our high-quality, digital-first textbooks, at prices they can afford. We are growing rapidly.
About the job and team
As a Publishing Sales Representative, you are critical to persuading new faculty in your territory to make the move to FlatWorld and you will be compensated accordingly. Great relationships depend on great people and you are the face of FlatWorld.
Starting with a clear strategy and an effective plan for maximizing your time, energy, and resources, you will uncover opportunities, identify who’s making the textbook decision, and follow through with them, in-person and by Zoom, to close the sale. You will then work with them and with our customer support team, to ensure that everything is in place for their students to purchase our textbooks at the start of the semester.
We are committed to providing our customers with A+ service. Relationships with existing FlatWorld professors in your territory are an important way to find new prospects and to generate referrals. Your highest priority, however, given our rapid growth, is driving new business: You will be compensated generously based on new revenue generated, with no cap on commissions earned.
We anticipate that you will earn $45k+ in commission, on top of a base salary of $50-60k. Full benefits package.
You will be a good fit for this job if you have some prior sales skills and higher education experience. But FlatWorld is scrappy and we value results over resumes. You absolutely have:
· Strategic skills to triage a large territory
· Relentless hunger for new business
· Tenacity to see a sale through to the end
· Motivation to reshape an industry
While you will join a team of other Publishing Sales Representatives, this position is remote, so you need to be comfortable working autonomously, while maintaining a strong sense of urgency.
· Create and execute a territory plan, prioritizing prospective school, department and professor targets
· Work to uncover opportunities, both by responding promptly to marketing-led, inbound inquiries, but also by directly identifying and communicating our mission, value proposition and solutions to prospective customers
· Attain and surpass your sales goal, by building relationships, growing and expanding awareness of FlatWorld as an alternative, listening for faculty friction points and issues with their current textbook choice and diagnosing and persuading those faculty to make the move to FlatWorld
· Develop your skills and refine your selling approach independently: synthesize and apply information and input from peers, management and sales tools and reports, to identify ever-better approaches to drive new revenue in your territory
· Work remotely; travel to campus, as appropriate, by air and ground. Typically up to 2 days per week on-campus during the semester, with minimal travel outside of term time
· Manage company resources with compliance to standards, including company credit card, equipment, and marketing collateral
· Client facing
· Requires 40+ hours per week
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited College or University
· Superior listening, oral and written communication skills in English
· Excellent organization and follow through
· Accomplished range of skills from strategic thinking to creative and detailed execution
· Very comfortable with technology and learning new tools. We operate in a Mac environment and you will be using sales tools, systems and software such as Zoom, SalesForce, Slack, Google Suite. Are you comfortable sorting, filtering and running basic spreadsheet reports? Running a mail merge for email?
· Valid Driver License and good driving record
· Ability to visit professors across campus, including carrying a selection of marketing materials and textbook samples
· Ability to forge relationships internally and externally
· Ability to work with and maintain a sense of urgency
· Flexibility for travel overnight. Typically, less than one night per week annually, but may be up to two to three overnight stays per week during peak periods
Paid time off