Digital Editorial Assistant
Location Flexible (Corporate Office Boston, MA)
We are FlatWorld and we are changing the textbook world.
About the Company
FlatWorld is growing fast. Our mission is to produce high-quality college textbooks at affordable prices. Our business has thrived by supporting both teachers and students for a decade, but new management sees even bigger opportunities to make an impact in higher education. We want to empower instructors and put them back at the center of teaching. Our growing library of over 135 customizable, digital-first textbooks, puts the instructor in control from the start and removes some of the barriers to students having the right text in their hands.
Teaching can be hard. Textbooks don’t have to be.
About the Job and Team
The Digital Editorial Assistant role is an entry-level position, critical to assisting the editorial team to produce high-quality products. You will work closely with the project editors providing support on various editorial tasks. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with authors, developmental editors, subject matter experts, proofreaders, permissions editors, interns, and vendors to ensure that we produce quality, accessible products on budget and on schedule. This is not a writing position.
You will be a good fit for this job if you have some editorial experience and are looking to expand your knowledge. You are detail oriented and technologically savvy and enjoy learning new software. However, FlatWorld is scrappy and we value an individual who is an innovative thinker and is hungry to learn and be a part of a high-functioning editorial and production department. You need exceptional organizational and communication skills as well as a positive, can-do attitude.
Critical Functions and Responsibilities
· work internally for the project editors assisting with the development and publication of digital and print college-level textbooks
· manuscript evaluation for compliance with preparation guidelines
· manuscript reviewing and supplement updating, formatting, and creation
· work with the tech team to resolve issues with website, text, or supplemental content
· work within several FlatWorld-specific platforms to upload, create, edit, and format textbook content
· complete photo research for textbooks
· review permissions logs with guidance from lead project editor
· assist project editors to review and implement proofreader and author queries/edits
· create figure mockups and proof figures/designs
· add alternative text/long descriptions to our texts to ensure they are accessible
· Bachelor's degree from an Accredited College or University, preferably in English, Communications, Journalism, or a related subject area
· 1–2 years of experience in the digital business arena
· Strong project management skills
· Experience with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, Google Sheets and Documents, and Adobe Pro. Experience with SurveyMonkey a plus.
· Comfortable in a fast-paced, creative, and demanding work environment that requires meticulous attention to detail
· Superior oral and written communication skills in English
· Demonstrated ability to work autonomously
· Ability to forge relationships internally and externally
FlatWorld is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Competitive compensation package.
Flexibility on location of this role.
Apply on ZipRecruiter or email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.