Software Engineer (Ruby)
About the job
This role is the first member of a new team focused on building a application in Rails to allow professors to select and assign the homework that accompanies our college textbooks. You will work closely with peers to integrate this new system with existing service for authentication, for example, and with third parties for some specialized components (chemistry components with a compound calculator, for example). This team will grow.
About the team
We are a small, distributed team and we try to support each other through peer review and frequent collaboration. We work in one week sprints and typically ship multiple times per week. Over the last two months we’ve increased our investment in infrastructure automation with Chef (on AWS) to make sure deployments and our environments are reliable and consistent.
You have developed good practices over time and have a perspective on the benefits of testing and other ways to improve quality and we want you to share that to help us better serve customers.
You should be:
- Comfortable in an agile environment and in a team
- Familiar with working inside a (US) distributed team
- Helpful, respectful and inquisitive
We welcome women and men that have come to software engineering through nontraditional paths.
About the company
FlatWorld develops and sells high-quality college textbooks online and in print at a fraction of the cost of other publishers. Our business has thrived by supporting both teachers and students for a decade but new management (in August 2016) has lead to greater focus on expanding the 100+ textbooks we currently offer and supporting the business into renewed growth.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
- At least 2 years of experience with professional software development for the web
- Fluency with Ruby and Rails
- Awareness of with modern software delivery practices (like git, automated deployment, AWS, etc)
- Experience working in a rapid release cycle and collaborating with colleagues in other groups
- A good understanding of how build brand new database-backed web applications
- An ability to work in the US for a US employer, ideally in Boston but remote US applicants are also welcome
How to apply
Please send your resume, cover letter and a link to a some code you’ve written that you’d like to teach us about to firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s fine to keep this code private, just invite @abdelazer to a private repo if you’d prefer.